I didn’t deliberately knock down part of the wall I showed yesterday just for the pleasure of rebuilding it, and it was definitely a coincidence that I mentioned to the Golfer earlier in the week that I needed a new bricklaying project – honest….! I blame Monday’s vase – and shoddy workmanship… 😉
Looking for decent little bunches of grapes on the ornamental vine (climbing over an arch between the two main bold borders) for Monday’s vase, I was struck with the sudden desire to remove the whole vine. It no longer served its original purpose and keeping it in check meant it was not the most attractive of shapes either – and tended to shade the corner of the right hand border as well as scrambling onto the netting of the fruit cage on the other side of the wall. No sooner said than done, and it quickly became a heap on the path – but not before standing on the little retaining wall to reach one of the higher stems dislodged a brick and then another…. and yet another. Not only that, but my lovely hare, only recently relocated here so he could be seen better and hanging on two screws on these bricks, suffered appalling injuries and needs an urgent appointment with the vet or perhaps a superglue surgeon…
Not letting these accidents get me down and neglecting a continuation of the weekend’s ivy clearing I launched instead into the start of a major overhaul of some of the borders. Having noted whilst clearing ivy from the fence how dry the back of the herbaceous borders were, I decided there would be some merit in removing all the plants and digging in more organic matter before replacing them, taking the opportunity to thin out the largest clumps and remove redundant labels. The bold border where the vine was removed was full of uninvited clumps of Croscosmia ‘Lucifer’ and a graveyard of redundant labels so what better place to start. It doesn’t seem long since a similar exercise was carried out and I am beginning to be of the opinion that the aforesaid Lucifer, although making a fiery impact in a good year, is a bit of a thug on the quiet – he was therefore reduced to a few corms in one corner and other crocosmia and hemerocallis taken in hand too and moved to the back, allowing space at the front for shorter plants and next year’s annuals. Soil conditioning will come later, once I have decided what to use, but already the bed looks less of a cluttered shambles – see below, and below that for the same border (full of sword like leaves) at the end of last month:
Oh – and overalls were involved too, as alongside cutting the devil down to size I was applying quick coats of Wild Thyme to some of our recently revamped benches, just in case we ever decide to sit on any of them!