I have become aware over the last few months that the garden will increasingly need regular maintenance to curb its exuberance as it matures whereas I will need greater discipline to restrict what I would like to add to it.
Meanwhile, despite the recent damp (well, sometimes more wet than damp) weather I have made a point of spending a couple of hours most days on those little nip and tuck jobs – like potting on and planting out, tying in and deadheading, with a fair bit of admiring thrown in as well (those roses…..!). I am afraid to say that some of the aquilegia we exclaimed over a few weeks ago have been removed (too tall, too blue, too ordinary…) but the borders look hugely better for their removal; meanwhile, in the greenhouse I have plenty (ie too many) named aquilegia seedlings waiting to take their place. The sweet peas are all tied in and looking good, the autumn sown ones in bud – one of this year’s success stories as far as seedlings go, but I will write about that another time. Here is ‘Purple Pimpernel’ in the bold border, having just been rescued from potential takeover by Hydrangea petiolaris which required cutting back (potential vase material? must rescue my trimmings and try them out in water).
I had thought that I would stake some of the alliums after the inch of rain we had on Saturday, but in the absence of any hazel stems (recycled too soon!) to provide a less obtrusive support I think I might risk leaving them without. This grouping was the most affected, surprisingly so with the gallery fence behind them, but there was no real damage done anywhere I am pleased to say.
Having realised that the Tête-à-Tête foliage had now died down, tackling the streamside grass where they were growing became a must-do job. Tidying the shed, the Golfer realised we did indeed have a sickle which has now been sharpened and today made inroads into the swishy swashy grass – not sure about my technique, but at least my hands and feet were intact! Clearly it will need a lot more attention but at least it has a chance to dry out a bit before the next cut. Meanwhile, we have connected the stream to a timer on the premise that if it only runs for six hours a day it will only lose water at a quarter of the rate it did before – this seems like an acceptable compromise.