That batch of seeds I showed yesterday has duly been sown (although the RHS ones are still unsorted), leaving me with a bit of a housing crisis. Despite mostly only sowing half-packets, for the first time realising the sense in not raising more plants than I need, I am now down to the last couple of half trays and a few quarter trays. Clearly I am going to have to rehouse some of the more established seedlings, potting-on not being something I have made a habit of in previous years – although the few seeds I did transplant last year did lead to stronger plants, so I now know it makes sense.
The autumn sown aquilegia will definitely be on the rehousing agenda as there are several trays of those, not all as established as the ‘Black Magic Mix (left), and the cerinthe (already thinned a little) and perennial malva (mallow) from a free packet of seeds are perhaps ready to move on as well. I am not sure where I will put more than 2 or 3 fully grown mallows though!
Already successfully rehomed, however, are the two ‘surplus’ urns, one in a more central part of the woodland edge border and the other at the end of a path between one of the main herbaceous borders and the clematis colonnade. The latter is indeed the perfect spot and one I should have thought of before as the path narrows almost to an apex and finishes against the fence, making the urn an ideal full stop. Both urns now look as if they have always lived in these locations!