For those people out there who feel I should be putting my feet up for a while and not contemplating another project quite yet let me reassure you that the leftover bricks (all 126 of them, plus 8 halves and 10 engineering bricks) have all been stacked up in a temporary location between the greenhouse and the fruit cage where they will stay for an unidentified period of time – I like to think out of the box for my projects so I shall be sitting on the pile for some time. Coincidentally we are going up to my Mum’s for a few days so I shall be metaphorically putting my feet up anyway, although long car journeys are ideal for dreaming up new projects….
With the prospect of abandoning the garden for a few days I have spent a few hours this afternoon tying up some of its loose ends – piling up excess bricks, bagging up spent mortar and planting up my car boot purchases from last weekend and newer purchases resulting from a Bank Holiday discount on already discounted prices at our local garden centre. Let’s hope they are not shrivelled up after the predicted warm and sunny weather this area is expecting while we were away. Whilst planting, I have been formulating more basic maintenance jobs to do when we get back, including removing the lysimachia which is beginning to outstay its welcome in the right hand hot border – and I am sure I didn’t plant any in the left side….
Making a more useful contribution here are the crocosmia, with C. Constance finally flowering and showing off its orange red flowers which are so much bigger than ‘Canary Bird’ and ‘Lucifer’, and the geum which are doing their best to produce a second flush but appear to be camera shy today. The dahlia still progress slowly and I won’t expect to see any flowers on our return – but they are a new experience for me and still a learning curve.