Displacement Theory says something along the lines of ‘If you want to plant new shrubs in your pots you will have to remove the old plants first’, and the thrifty modifier of the theory would add something like ‘and find a new home for them’.
I didn’t complete my list of jobs partly because I was very thorough pruning the neglected climbing rose, and equally thorough cutting the prunings small enough to go in the green recycling bin. I trimmed the damaged hellebore leaves as planned, enjoying a closer look at the progressing flowers, and began to tackle the ‘plant up’ of a number of new plants from Crocus, which had arrived during the week in 3 excitingly large boxes.
I had ordered the plants before January’s big snowfall and was relieved that despite Crocus’s normally very quick delivery they didn’t come till this week. They include two plants on my Wish List, Viburnum bodnantense ‘Dawn’ and a callicarpa, as well as another witch hazel and a collection of 3 cornus. I planned to plant the viburnum and cornus in the large lead effect pots on the paved area in front of the kitchen window so we could enjoy their colour even when it was too cold to spend much time outside, and hopefully the pots are large enough to provide a home for them for a few years at least. It means, however, displacing the previous occupants of the pots – a box ‘pyramid’, an ornamental quince and a hosta, none of which I had actually planned to plant there in the first place but have long outstayed their temporary welcome. Nevertheless they showed great resistance to being ousted, and it was close to resembling a Laurel and Hardy sketch at one point, but they were finally placed in short stay B&B in the wheelbarrow, pending their as yet unallocated new accommodation. The ‘plant up’ has therefore not yet begun.